Elyse's Reviews > The Invisible

The Invisible by Andrew Britton

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, espionage, political-thriller
Read from April 12 to 19, 2012

Overall, a smart and fun read. I especially liked the brief "aside" on page 90 (in the volume I read), where Britton is reflecting upon the complexity of emerging terrorist threats. Excellent point that terrorist organizations are adapting their funding, their recruiting, and their short-term cooperative attacks.

Compared with the previous book (which I haven't actually finished), there are still a dizzying number of characters and perspectives through/from which the story unfolds. Now that it's obvious who are the main characters, that's a little less disconcerting. Even so, there are sections where the character depth is cumbersome ... such as, the long description of one character's contact with Noriega. Cumbersome and distracting ... leads to skimming!

The biggest issue I have with the storytelling is that the three female characters are just damsels in distress:
1) The female Secretary of State is makes a bad judgment about her motorcade route (against the advice of her male security guards, of course) and after being kidnapped only able to communicate an emotional charge with her eyes.
2) One of the female agents tries something heroic to rescue other agents in distress, but then she totally falls apart from the indirect consequences of this effort. And it turns out that she has a really bad drug problem due to a previous traumatic situation from book 2.
3) The other female agent is a total pawn of a family member. And basically all she contributes to the story is fawning over our macho lead character who decides to spare her from what the family member tried to force.

Seriously?! For a young writer, I expected Britton to have stronger female characters who are the equals of his male characters. Disappointed enough that it dropped my rating by a star.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible.