Whiskeyjack's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from February 06 to March 06, 2012

It had been a while since I had taken up anything from Stephen King. And he still is a masterful storyteller. However, this book started out interesting, but I found it too long. Not too much is happening in the story after the initial concepts are explained and what remains is a very well written story, but not one that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

What I did like was the way King brings that era to live in all kind of aspects, from people's (smoking) habits and manners to the backward notions of racial superiority and the political scene of the time. For example, I had never grasped how very close the call was during the Cuban missile crisis and the impact that had on day-to-day life.

This was the first book I read that deals with alternate histories and although it was interesting, I don't think I will become a fan of this genre. It does allow for a detailed description of another age with a new storyline put into it (that can bring some excitement and pace to the book), but I think I prefer fiction or real history instead.

So while I liked it, I rate it two stars because of its length. If it was kept shorter I would have given it three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.