Matt's Reviews > Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul

Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul by Richard B. Hays

Aug 07, 2008

bookshelves: christian, hermeneutics
Read in July, 2005

How do we understand some of Paul’s interesting ways of interpreting Old Testament texts? Often, we are left puzzled by what he concludes and spend much time in study trying to make some sense of it. In this book, Hayes puts forth a bold suggestion – we should adopt Paul’s way of interpreting the Old Testament as one tool in our hermeneutical toolbox. Most of the book he explains what he thinks Paul is doing – reading allusions and echoes in the OT as well as extensive metaphor – all prefiguring and meant for the Christian community marked by the Spirit today! He samples this method on a few “hard-to-understand” passages and provides some helpful solutions in understanding the texts. While many of his points I found helpful and enlightening, there is still much that I have questions about and need to “chew on” over time as I grow and learn more about these biblical passages. Academically, the book is a fine work and the author is a creative writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul.