Shannon's Reviews > No Name Baby

No Name Baby by Nancy Bo Flood

May 30, 12

bookshelves: middle-grade

No-Name Baby by Nancy Bo Flood, is a thought-provoking book. It stayed with me long after I finished the last page. I wondered about Sophia, the young girl whose family has been marred by the deaths of babies born too soon. Babies remembered with small grey stones on the family farm. And I thought about her Aunt Rae, who “had taken all the darkness in the family, thick black hair and deep brown eyes and a face that seldom smiled.”

Despite the serious subject, No-Name Baby is never without hope. The language floats and sways, beautiful and comforting. While her mother struggles with another birth, Sophia prays, then “went way inside herself, so that God, wherever he was, would know she meant every word.” When the little baby is born, Nonna encourages Sophia to “Sing to his soul. Ask him to stay.” And Sophia does.

The story has some twists and turns, and I won’t spoil them here. What it reveals is a family that is real, scars and secrets and all, but that at the core, has a foundation of love. “Music is the language of the soul; we each find a way to sing.” That is what Sophia’s Nonna tells her. When she said it, I felt as if she was telling me too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Name Baby.