Anna's Reviews > The Left Hand of God

The Left Hand of God by Paul  Hoffman

To tell you the truth, I didn't know what to expect when I started this book. From what my friends had told me about it, it was a much anticipated release in 2010 and later everyone gave positive reviews on it so I felt compelled to dusty it up and start reading it.

However, I wasn't impressed. The whole thing is fast paced and full of action but it lacks that depth of plot that makes a novel make you want to reread it over and over again. Hoffman concentrated more on creating a dynamic story rather than character depth and more importantly world building. So I wasn't exactly satisfied with the book, and I think with a little more work it could have become a great piece of fiction. Pity.

PLOT SUMMARY:

Thomas Cale is the protagonist of the book and is an orphan boy living in the Temple. His caretakers are some people called the Redeemers. These Redeemers are a sinister religious cult, that take religious fanaticism to a new step. The Redeemers run the temple, and orphan boys with ages ranging from 5 to somewhere around 15 or 18 are brought in as students and introduced to a world full of beatings and punishments for even the most insignificant infraction.

After witnessing one of his masters do a terrible thing, Cale manages to kill him and further escape with two of his friends and the girl he saved, taking refuge in the trading city of Memphis. There, he manages to get entangled in politics, defeat the most coveted fighters and get the girl, only to find out at the end that everything is all about him, and he's some kind of Dark Angel sent from God to destroy the world.

Excuse me if I wasn't precisely impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Left Hand of God.

03/23/2012 page 53