Ken's Reviews > Twilight of the Superheroes

Twilight of the Superheroes by Deborah Eisenberg

Sep 15, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: x-d-out-books-never-finished
Recommended for: people looking for a literary exploration of American life post-September 11.
Read in September, 2008

In this collection of stories, Eisenberg follows the half-lives of its protagonists; she deftly and carefully traces how time has changed the characters and the world in which they live, the opportunities they have missed, and the mistakes thay have (and sometimes continue) to make.

The first story was the most interesting as it examines a group of friends living in a borrowed apartment with a fantastic view view of New York City and how their lives differed after they watched the skyline on September 11. I also enjoyed the second story, "Some Other, Better Otto," whose hero, though aging, still struggles with family realtionships and the person he wants to be.

Although I enjoyed these stories, I ran into negative inertia as I moved on. The second to last story was so fragmented that I couldn't get beyond a few pages, and skipping to the final story, I chose to not go on after the first paragraph. But this is not a criticism of the collection. Eisenberg depicts life and its losses in such sharp detail that I just didn't have the energy to face it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight of the Superheroes.