Bookworm's Reviews > The Retribution

The Retribution by Val McDermid

Mar 17, 12

Read from March 10 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

I am not sure how I missed the publication of Retribution in September last year. Val McDermid is an author who has somewhat fallen off my radar and it has been quite a few years since I have read any of her Tony Hill/Carol Jordon novels.

In anticipation of reading Retribution, I reacquainted myself with The Wire in the Blood, the prequel to Retribution.

Retribution sees the return of Jacko Vance who has escaped from prison and who is hell bent on making those responsible pay.

The book was hard to put down but I feel something was lacking from it. I do feel the ending was rushed and came somewhat out of the left field as another reviewer has said. It certainly wasn't the ending I was expecting!

I would also say that in some respects, the book dragged and I felt myself almost wanting to skip pages. A kind of I've started so I must finish.

Just three stars for this book. I would be interested to know when Ms McDermid had the idea for this novel, whether she had it in mind at the time of writing The Wire in the Blood or it was something she decided to revisit recently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Retribution.

03/17/2012 page 329