Londonmabel Mabel's Reviews > Jane

Jane by April Lindner

Sep 19, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: f-chick-guy, f-mystery-adv, f-romance, f-teen-ya, stopped-gave-up, 2gave-to-bookiverse
Read from March 15 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy

This just didn't work for me. Jane didn't grab me soon enough; the characters seemed to talk in a slightly archaic way, like the author was too immersed in the original; and when I skipped ahead to the Core of the Mystery Story I didn't feel she pulled it off--it was too unrealistic. I think there are elements of Jane Eyre that are very specific to their time period and therefore hard to update, and yet they're absolutely key to the novel.*

But she's a first time author and it wasn't badly written. She's doing Wuthering Heights next, and it may present less challenges in terms of historical specificity.

*SPOILERS:

Specifically, the importance of marriage as the Be All End All of a relationship; and why you would keep a schizophrenic locked up in your own home. It is not true, as the hero insists, that no institution properly cares for people with mental illness. In an institution she would probably have much better and safer care than what's described in this book. It makes the hero look cruel, selfish, and stupid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane.