Renee 's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: book-club
Read from March 16 to 27, 2012

I "sense" that I can't commit to a star-rating on this one. This was a our chosen book for our book club meeting this month. Ok, so I finished it the night before the day we were meeting, maybe that has something to do with it, but pre-meeting, I would have rated it a 2 because I couldn't wrap my head around it. But after discussing it with my book club members, I'd have to say it was 4 stars. It's one of THOSE kinds of book, in that, you really have to sit with the story and try to fit all the loose pieces together after the fact.

Without my book club, it might have taken me a month, but this is an excellent book for book club discussion. So, I'm choosing the average of my stars as my rating. I'm feeling non-committal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

03/25/2012 page 60
40.0% "These pages make no sense when you have an #kobo. Ok, so my reading is that the story is finished, but I'm only 1/3 of the way through. WTH is going on?"
03/26/2012 page 100
67.0% "Love this quote: "...when we are young, we invent different futures for ourselves; when we are old, we invent different pasts for others.""

Kari Metzger Well said :)

Renee I liked your review better! ;)