Jessica's Reviews > Life Is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally

Life Is a Verb by Patti Digh

F_50x66
Mar 24, 12

Read from March 18 to 24, 2012

This book was ok. For me personally, it didn't live up to the promise of the introductory remarks, but there are good lessons to be gleaned from the author's experiences. In Digh's own words, "As I wrote these stories for my daughters, patterns and through-lines started appearing, one after another. Finally I stepped back to see the whole: Six practices for living more intentionally emerged from my three-year exploration. This 'guidebook for living' outlines those six practices - intensity, inclusion, integrity, intimacy, intuition, and intention - challenging us to live them now, before it's too late." The book's vignettes are accordingly divided into six sections, one for each of her practices for living.

It is indeed interesting to consider how we might live out our days were we cognizant of the fact that we have, say, only 37 more. At some point, each of us will be faced with this reality, though of course we won't know it. That time might even be now. Being mindful and living intentionally are truly admirable and important goals that I can wholeheartedly embrace.

However, I felt a definite disconnect between some of Digh's stories and day-to-day reality. Although her written illustrations were often brilliant (for example, using the true story of her Ford Bronco's turn signals failing without her knowledge to express a very real concern that often our true intentions go unknown by those around us), the 'Action' and 'Movement' activities at the end of each story seemed mildly interesting at best, time wasting at worst. Several of her vignettes seemed to be reaching or almost contrived in an effort to lead neatly to the life lesson she had preconceived.

That being said, I had an easy time reading the book all the way through and I enjoyed many of the thought-provoking metaphors.

Note: I read this on my iPad via the Kindle for iPad app. Though they didn't interfere with my reading experience, there were many typos. The images and quotations - and the traditional book has many - often interrupted the flow of the writing due to odd placement and formatting. I would venture to guess that the manuscript was put through some sort of automatic converter that made the book viewable on Kindle, without much time and attention given to the unique formatting needs of a digital reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Is a Verb.