Jessica Johnson's Reviews > Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from May 28 to June 03, 2012

Welcome to my stop on the Angel Eyes blog tour.

Goodreads Description:

Once you’ve seen, you can’t unsee. Everything changes when you’ve looked at the world through . . .

ANGEL EYES

Brielle’s a ballerina who went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She’s come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can’t seem to shake.

Jake’s the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.

Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what’s going to happen. And a beauty brighter than Jake or Brielle has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.

A realm that only angels and demons—and Brielle—can perceive.

What did I think?

When I first saw the blurb I was interested. I liked the fact that Brielle was a dancer and I've always wanted to be one. I've read a few angel books before and I liked them enough. I'm a fan of Lauren Kate's Fallen series so I was excited to start this.

I was taken off guard by how much this book takes on the religious perspective. I don't mind some religion but it felt like it was being shoved at me consistently. In a way that was like "this is how it is. Period."

The beginning seemed a bit of a repeat of Twilight so I was even more turned off. The whole Twilight thing to me is so overdone. Girl moves in with dad in a small town, falls for the new guy, he has "secrets", they are up in Oregon...Oregon, Washington....always cloudy. Yea....anyways....

Although I enjoyed Brielle and Jake's characters, whenever there was a different POV such as Damien or Canaan, I found myself getting really confused and skimming the part until I got to Brielle's POV.

I also liked how the author wrote. Her writing is really pretty and made things flow. Whenever she described something, she made it seem real.

The beginning was a bit slow to start off but towards the middle I found myself immersed in the story. I liked the differences between the demons and angles and the different explainations for them.

If you are looking for a fast paced romance this really isn't it. This has more to do with the Christian religion and explaining of how God is in control of everything.

I know this is mainly a negative review but please don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the story and the main characters but only when I wasn't having Christianity shoved in my face.

Overall it was a really quick read. Good story. Just not entirely my cup of tea.

Favorite Quote:

I want to answer hum, but the words don't come. A single tear thaws, escapes the confines of my lashes, and races triumphantly down my cheek. It soaks into my knit scarf-an invisible trail marking its life.

I received an e-ARC in return for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Eyes.