Beth's Reviews > The Enduring Hills

The Enduring Hills by Janice Holt Giles

Dec 08, 12

Read from July 23 to 27, 2012

I loved this book! I loved Hod's character, and the way he thought so deeply about things in a place where most people accepted life for what it is. The conflict that he felt between the love of his home and it's traditions, and the feeling that there is more out there in the world was fascinating to me.

My grandfather comes from a very similar background. He was one of the first to leave the ridge his family lived on. There is a strong sense of heritage and a connection to the past in places like Piney Ridge. One of my favorite quotes in the book comes early as Hod is developing a sense of who he is,"A person wasn't ever by himself, then, Hod thought. He was himself, and his father, and his grandfather." This is a great example of the way the mountain people are tied to their ancestors.

Another favorite of mine occurs around the same time in the book, "A man was a reservoir into which his people poured the stream of their living, and then it went on out of him, and through him, down on into time not yet lived." I love the image here of each generation being tied to the next. Life flows threw us but moves on past us like the flowing water. We take a little of our past and it makes us who we are and then we pass that on to future generations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enduring Hills.