Sally's Reviews > The Blue Notebook

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine

Mar 22, 2012

did not like it
Read from March 16 to 22, 2012

-This isn't the usual genre I go for with books, but the idea that the blue notebook was a means of survival seemed interesting.

-I want to give credit to the author for writing about a horrific and (unfortunately) realistic subject matter of child sex slaves.

-The lingo Batuk uses with regards to her job kind of bugged me. It didn't add anything to the book and it made me lose interest.

-The book isn't as engaging as I had thought it would be. I think I might have expected something different with regards to how the book was written; I think I would have liked it a bit more if it was written in a 'dear diary' form.

-I was seriously considering to stop reading this book several times because it really felt as if it was going nowhere, but it wasn't a long book so I just kept reading.

-It was a bit to graphic for my liking. I felt as if the author was using the violence as a means to make the reader emotional.

-I don't think this book had a good combination/balance of drama, violence, happiness, ect.

-I think my favourite thing about this book was that "All of the U.S. proceeds from this novel will be donated to the International and National Centers for Missing and Exploited Children" (assuming that actually happened).

Some quotes I liked:
"Our external reality is exactly what we are at that moment in time; history and the future are irrelevant" p114.

"His body was so thin that it merely severed as a coat for his skeleton, rather than his skeleton proving a scaffold for his body" p139.

"Judgment is the shadow cast by preconception" p163.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Notebook.

03/16/2012 page 14