S.A. Bolich's Reviews > War for the Oaks

War for the Oaks by Emma Bull

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: absolute-favorites

I don't read a lot of urban fantasy, but this is an exception, a guilty pleasure I read every year or two. The premise is so grand you have to go along, and Bull sweeps you right in from page 1. It seems the fae want to have a war, but the only way to make it meaningful is to have a mortal on the battlefield on each side, for then the fae themselves can die. Eddi, our heroine, just wants to play her songs in a good rock band, not the one her sulky ex-boyfriend put together, now defunct. But then a phouka follows her home and informs her she has been chosen as one of the mortals, and life gets very weird. But oh, the band she gets out of it!

If you like rock and roll, or even if you don't, you will love watching Eddi fight to put her band together, to keep it together through battles that get bloodier and scarier as the summer progresses, and ultimately against the bitch queen herself. The Queen of Air and Darkness makes the stakes of the final battle so very personal, and so very high, that even though Eddi is fighting with her own weapons the outcome is not at all a sure thing.

Bull does a great job of weaving poignancy and loss and triumph and bittersweet victories all together into an excellent brew. I have read other books by her. Though not bad reads, none of them come up to this one, in my opinion. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War for the Oaks.