Aimee's Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Mar 19, 2012

bookshelves: my-recommendations
Read from March 16 to 19, 2012

"Hold Me Closer, Necromancer" really surprised me. It had this fantastic mix of horror and humor. The Sherman Alexie quote on the dust jacket says it all- "This is a SCARY funny book OR a FUNNY scary book. In either case, it is a GREAT book. I LOVE it." I laughed out loud while reading this book, but there were also some very gruesome moments. While this book is hilarious, it is not for the squeamish. The main character does get tortured.

This book has great characters with unique personalities. Even though this is a paranormal book, it doesn't fall into many of the pitfalls of most in this genre. There is no love triangle or overdramatic lover story. While I do enjoy a good romance once and while, it was refreshing to pick up a book that didn't need all the mushy stuff. The other fantastic about HMCN is that all the paranormal aspects seem realistic. There are some pretty out there moments, but Lish McBride is able to make them believable.

If you are looking for an entertaining read and don't mind blood, guts, and gore then this is the book for you. Male and female readers alike will enjoy "Hold Me Closer, Necromancer". This book would also be good for readers in their 20s. The characters are out of high school and working at a fast food restaurant. This may not be a glamorous job, but it makes the characters relatable, especially in an economy where highly educated people find themselves working minimum wage jobs they are overqualified for. HMCN also gets bonus points for a kick-ass cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.

03/16/2012 page 200