Erin Howard's Reviews > The Two Princesses of Bamarre

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, best-of-the-best
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from March 16 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 5

This is a wonderful book that I read many times when I was in my early teens. The adventure, the overcoming of fears, and finding the strength in yourself made this book meaningful as well as entertaining. This was more than just a fantasy novel, this was a lesson in life that all girls should experience. Life is an adventure and you can't live it if you don't break out of your shell! There is more strength to the human spirit than any fear can break.

Princess Addie was a brilliant heroine in this novel, a stark contrast to many others. Typically the lead female is either brave and gets braver, or weak and whines throughout the book. Addie, however, was the sheltered princess afraid of her own shadow and had to fight her demons (as well as the monsters in real life) to save her sister. Her determination conquers all and she learns that she is far braver than she'd ever thought possible.

Princess Meryl was the typical lead female I enjoy, feisty and strong, so it was a nice change to see her as a side character. What was different, however, was the subtle jealousy that was underneath the surface of her worry for Addie. I really liked that, it added more depth to Meryl's character and made me love her even more to see that she's not the perfect little warrior princess. Her ending, which I won't spoil, was perfect for her.

The other characters were great and added a lot to the world around the two princesses. Her father...I wanted to slap him, so he was definitely written perfectly. Rhys added wisdom and Drault added strength, making for two dashing male leads. I fell in love and actually felt conflicted about the dragons in this book, and the others were memorable and fit perfectly into the world of Bamarre.

This book was written wonderfully, had excellent world-building that seems lost these days, and the characters had depth beyond measure. I look forward to reading more from this author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two Princesses of Bamarre.

03/17/2012 page 100
37.0% "Ahh, I still love this book!!"