Maria Ella's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reading-challenge, coming-of-age, young-at-heart
Read from March 16 to 18, 2012

The prolouge pique my interest because a girl and a boy looked at a dead body and have two different ideas going inside their heads. I though this is going to be a mystery case.

But when you turned the first part, it was totally disappointing. It was HIGHSCHOOL OVER AND OVER. And for a non-YA lover, this is one bitter gourd. So if you are not a YA lover, do not expect too much.

Paper Towns is about a boy, nicknamed Q, who aspired to be a scholar in college and graduate with a Degree in Law. With all the geekiness inside him, he fell in love with Margo since he was a kid. He fell in love not with Margo as a girl - he fell in love with the idea of Margo - and that is what the author wanted to teach us:

"We don't suffer from a shortage of metaphors, is what I mean. But you have to be careful which metaphors you choose, because it matters."

How we define ourselves lies in the idea that we welcome our minds. A paper town for a paper girl, having a crush with a paper guy, being geek all the time, believing in the paper future ahead of him - that for the latter, it felt so real.

We tend to be apire for our dreams and reach for more, we tend to make a difference, like a balloon filled with helium, reaching for the vastness of the blue sky, filling ourselves with hope and the essence of our beings. And how will you do it, depends upon the idea that you once feed yourself, and letting yourself get consumed by it.

I love the third part of the novel stricken by the last page of the second part - applying syntax to a write-up. Once you see her rule of capitalization on prepositions (amongst other words) you will know it is her, and you will know there is something to happen. It may not be the climax, but the heart of the novel starts there.

How the author deliver the message about living our lives, is (may I quote you Charles?) profound. Two paper characters give three-dimensional approaches to pursuing whatever "future" you wanted for yourself. The feeling of this reader on reflecting the metamorphosis - on leaving one stage to another, leaving memories behind and simply growing up - is simply magical.

I may not be a paper girl to my paper mum and I may not lived the same paper high school as theirs, but leaving the three-dimensional memories and starting over - felt the same.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

Quotes Maria Ella Liked

John Green
“What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”
John Green, Paper Towns

03/16/2012 page 3
1.0% "Prologue: The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle. This made me hooked to the book. I hate you John Green, you made me engrossed yet again to a book - your book."

K.D. Absolutely I am glad you liked this book, Ella. It was one of my favorites the year I read it! :)

Maria Ella the author defines the essence of journey and being a wanderlust in this book. mabuti na lang nakalampas ako sa high-school episodes, ugh.

K.D. Absolutely There are many books that our group likes and they have high school as their setting hahahaha.

I remember the characters in "One Day" are wearing their graduation gowns in the movie's opening scene. So, I agree that you don't like high-school episodes hahahaha.

message 4: by Rollie (last edited Mar 19, 2012 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rollie KD changed his rating. :D

Maria Ella ^talaga~? maganda in fairness yung part three. i just don't feel like re-reading all those classes and locker scenes and the e-mails. ugh.

but to read the part where a passenger of a vessel needs to pee and made it in a bottle - that's total comedy! ahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahah~~