Shaya's Reviews > Chocolat

Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Aug 18, 08

bookshelves: summer-2008
Read in August, 2008

The writing was very good. Descriptive, etc. I felt the plot didn't make sense at some points. I followed it fine, but it just didn't seem like certain events should be happening. The priest was very evil. I was surprised that it seemed to be set in rather modern times but the priest's role, or the role he was trying to have, felt like it was set in the past.

The basic story is that a woman and her daughter move into a small French town and set up a chocolate shop. She befriends many of the villagers. The priest, who wants to have a lot of influence in everyone's lives, feels threatened. He doesn't like the fact that she is tempting them for physical pleasure with her chocolates.

The ending was a bit confusing. I think I understood it to mean that Madame Rocher and Anouk had the option to travel if they wanted to or stay in the village, but there wasn't a clear sense of their decision.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chocolat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emma I agree with you there- I actually felt like it was in the past too! That's why I was surprised to find, somewhat into the book, that it was set in modern day. It has a 1950s feel to it somehow.

Kendra I didn't like the ending either... Madame Rocher sleeping with Roux and getting pregnant felt very random, especially since it was immediately followed by Roux and Josephine moving in together and falling in love. I actually liked the ambiguous nature of whether Anouk and Vianne would stay, especially when paired with Vianne's musing on facing the Black Man. I just didn't feel like the ending unfolded smoothly or in any sort of logical manner.