Katie's Reviews > Perfect Chemistry

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Jul 13, 14

bookshelves: read-in-2012, contemporary, 1st-person-dual-pov-male-female, i-ship-the-ship
Read in March, 2012

Perfect Chemistry was an amazing contemporary romance that is reminiscent of the musical West Side Story. The book accurately portrays the dangers of being in a gang, and the thrill of first love. Both Alex and Brittany are well-developed characters that any reader will like.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Brittany seems like she has a perfect life on the outside since she is the cheerleading captain and dates a popular guy. Truthfully, her life is not as perfect as everyone thinks. She has a sister with cerebral palsy and I loved how sweet she was to her sister. She really tried to convince her parents not to send her sister, Shelley, away to a special home. The one part of her story that I was not a fan of was the subplot with her boyfriend, Colin. Sometimes, in young adult books, a girl will have a boyfriend who is portrayed as a great boyfriend, but once she meets the main love interest, the former boyfriend becomes portrayed in a much different light. Unfortunately, the story with Brittany and Colin fell into that trap. Despite this, I enjoy reading about Brittany and Alex as a couple, and I did want them to fall in love.

Alex was a great guy character. His relationship with Brittany started because of a bet with his friends in which he said he would be able to convince Brittany to sleep with him. Once he actually got to know Brittany, he found himself falling in love with her. I also liked his gang plot. He really had only joined the gang to protect his family. He was so sweetly protective of his two younger brothers, Carlos and Luis.

If you want to read a contemporary romance about people from different sides of town falling in love, pick up this book. I guarantee you will enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Chemistry.