Becky's Reviews > 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics

25 Books Every Christian Should Read by Renovare

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: operationactuallybooks
Read in March, 2012

To be fair, I think I would probably be critical of any list that supposedly represents the top twenty-five "essential" reads. If the list had 50 or 100 books, I'd probably still feel good cause to complain. Partly, I think that is just the nature of list-making. I'm not sure how balanced this list is--I feel many titles are too ancient. And so very many of them are from a monastic point of view. And the editors definitely favored mysticism over theology. And "devotional" over doctrinal. For the most part. Perhaps with the exception of John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion. Which may sound okay in theory, but essentially how many of these are clear enough, relevant enough, and focused on the gospel and the heart of the gospel, Jesus Christ? I think there were some biggies left off the list, theologians (preachers, teachers, writers) who should have been included but weren't.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 25 Books Every Christian Should Read.