Jason's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

May 22, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, young-adult
Read from March 16 to May 22, 2012

** spoiler alert ** *SPOILER*

He cheats on her. That's why they broke up. There. Now you don't have to struggle through this book like I did. I thought this book had a solid premise, and I have adored Maira Kalman's illustrations since she did Strunke and White's Elements of Style. Too many things got in the way of my enjoying this book, though:

1. The stream-of-consciousness writing hurts my brain, along with all the run-ons and fragments. I get that the narrator is supposed to be a teenage girl breaking up with her jerk of a boyfriend, but I was distracted by all the weird syntax. At times, she even sounds like Yoda.

2. The premise, for me, fell apart when I realize how long this break-up letter was. It's the longest break-up letter EVER. Get to the point already!

3. All the other random reasons in the book pale in comparison to real reason of "why we broke up." No, it was not because you never developed the photos (page 65), it was because he was CHEATING ON YOU with Annette (page 329).

Who will even like this book? I think girls, mainly. They might get swept up in the romance/relationship, which is why I tagged this book as chick lit. But I'm not sure I completely buy Daniel Handler writing in a female voice. I think I also have lingering bitterness about the unanswered questions he left in the Series of Unfortunate Events series. I've learned my lesson: Never again will I read something by Daniel Handler / Lemony Snicket.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.

03/16/2012 page 49
14.0% "All the run on sentences are starting to get to me. The book's concept is clever, but the execution is not that great so far."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karin I agree. I'm listening on audio and there was one time I think I zoned out.

Jason Glad it's not just me. I feel compelled to like it because it got an award. I'm lame sometimes. :)

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark I keep putting this one off, because I keep hearing things like this. It may never get read. :)

Ricki I read it. I loved the idea of it, but it didn't pan out for me.

Karin I ended up really liking it.