Lonah's Reviews > Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant

Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet

Mar 16, 12

Read in January, 2007

I've done a number of research projects on synesthesia for my psych degree, and I'm always looking for personal stories. So I was happy to find this book. Since the guy also has Aspergers, I imagined something like Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens meets The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. A creative, brilliant, unique voice, with maybe a little wit.

It did not take long for my happiness to dissipate. Every hope I had for this book was dashed to pieces the further I read. Completely emotionally flat, nothing relatable at all, no tension or conflict, no interesting cast of characters. Somehow the book managed to be neither entertaining nor informative. It was a great example of self masturbatory writing: the author talks about how brilliant he is. The author talks about how he is different. The author talks about how he is so different and brilliant, he can memorize a long sequence of numbers.

There was a lot about memorizing pi. Could somebody explain to me, how in the hell is it interesting to read about someone memorizing numbers? How is that inspirational? How, actually, does that contribute anything useful to society at all? What good is it to be a genius if you're just going to sit around remembering numbers?

Maybe some people have a lower standard for special people's books, but I don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born on a Blue Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elaine I mean afterall what did you expect, he is what his writing is...enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is! I find it fascinating for all that it IS, not what I wanted it to be.