Wendy Darling's Reviews > Vacations from Hell

Vacations from Hell by Libba Bray

"The Law of Suspects" by Maureen Johnson - 4 stars To my great surprise, this was my favorite of the short stories. I've always liked stories where people are trapped in a place with a crazy person a la The Shining, and this one was a great YA horror version. It captured the feeling of intense horror and was a bit twisted all at once. I haven't read anything by this author before, but I'm looking forward to doing so now. I liked the writing style and the feel of the French countryside as well.

Cassandra Clare's "The Glass House" 4 stars This is a lovely, haunting, gothic sort of a story, and a close second favorite. The writing is moody and evocative, and I liked the framework of the story as well as the resolution.

"I Don't Like Your Girlfriend" by Claudia Gray was pretty cute. 3 stars

"Crusin" by Sarah Mlynowski - maybe 3 stars. Pretty predictable and fairly shallow, with ordinary writing, but a decent read.

"Nowhere is Safe" by Libba Bray - 2 stars, maybe less. This story was far too busy with unimportant details and stuffed with characters and meaningless events for a short story. There's definitely an art to the short story, and I'm afraid this one didn't do it for me. I actually didn't even read the last 20 pages or so due to lack of interest, I just skimmed the ending to see what happened.

Overall, a quick, entertaining read for spooky nights...especially if you happen to be vacationing somewhere desolate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vacations from Hell.