Dayla's Reviews > Chopsticks

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony

This review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7
Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral is a young adult novel that tells a story through a scrapbook full of photographs, chat logs, and notes. The moment I saw this book I knew it was something special. The cover alone shows the emotion that the two characters share before things turn sour.

“After her mother died, Glory retreated into herself and her music. Her single father raised her as a piano prodigy, with a rigid schedule and the goal of playing sold-out shows across the globe. Now, as a teenager, Glory has disappeared. As readers flash back to the events leading up to her disappearance, they see a girl on the precipice of disaster.”

I found it easy to get lost within these pages and watch Glory's descent into madness.

Since it's my first time really reviewing books like this one, I'm going to jump straight into the positives and negatives.

Negatives:

1. The ending made me a bit confused. I know that the synopsis on the back of the book says that the ending should hint at Glory's madness and that it should question whether everything that has happened actually happened, but honestly, I only grasped a bit of what was intended. I had to think about it after I read the book and even now, as I write this review, I'm still pondering the ending. But if a novel affects me like this, would this truly be a negative aspect?

2. Why does Glory disappear? This is one thing that bothered me at the end because I don't think it was fully explained.

Positives:

1. I am so used to prose that this was a new and slightly scary experience (at least when I first began reading it). Unlike other novels that use the concept of pictures within a storyline, Chopsticks relies on pictures, drawings, and other media techniques to tell a story. I thought this was sucessful and I loved the way they easily told a story without prose.

2. Though the ending was slightly unclear, the story was easy to follow.

3. The romance was sweet and it hinted at what was happening to Glory's mind. I loved watching everything come together until the end.

4. The hints and suggestions of lunacy were interesting to decipher. I think this is the type of book that needs to be looked over more than once to truly see the beauty of it.

5. I'm happy to say that the quality of the media presented was excellent. Nothing was grainy or low quality printing.

I'm excited to see what else Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral will produce in the future!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chopsticks.