Nicole D.'s Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Jul 06, 14

bookshelves: ya-fantasy-sci-fi
Read from May 08 to 13, 2012

My review(Major Spoilers from first 4 books and minor from this one)

Sebastian is back and has disappeared taking Jace with him.Clary,Alec,Simon,Isabelle,and Magnus are ready to do anything to find him even bargain with dangerous enemies and allies alike.This is one of my favorite TMI books.It has great adventure with Clary going all over the world to beautiful places while being in serious danger.Alec and Magnus are going throw a rocky patch and Jace being missing hasn't helped.I do think that Magnus needs to be more open with Alec.I really love Alec and Magnus together and think they are perfect for each other.Alec grows in confidence in each book.Camille makes an appearance so don't worry or like me hope she is gone for good.

Cassandra Clare does a great job even with all her characters apart keeping us up with all the information we need and leaving us with everyone just the right amount of time before switching locations and characters.Clary and Jace are together(in a way)so don't think you wouldn't get to read these two's entertaining verbal sparring.

Sebastian really comes into his own as a villain and character in this book.You learn so much about him.I hate him with a passion but some readers have even grown to like even love him because of what was said in this book.But not me in fact this book made me hate him more then ever and made me even more positive that he can't be saved.In fact this quote reminds me of Sebastian:

Some men just want to watch the world burn.It was said in one of the Dark Knight movies and fits him perfectly.

The beginning isn't as action packed as you get toward the end when everything is reveled and it was worse then I could even imagine.If the above quote didn't clue you in Sebastian makes Valentine look like a sane human being.Between the fight scene at the end and the club scene between Jace and Clary this book left me breathless and very happy that Cassandra Clare's wit and humor are back in this book.I can't wait to read City of Heavenly Fire the last book in the series and see how it all ends.

rating:5 out of 5

Keeper:Yes

Content Rating:PG-13

Nicole D.The Reading Rebel

this review can also be found on my blog:
thereadingrebel.wordpress.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

Quotes Nicole D. Liked

Cassandra Clare
“I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"
"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig you out of the ashes. I know," Alec said.”

Cassandra Clare
“Does she still love you?"
"I don't think so," Magnus said dryly. "She wasn't very pleasant the last time I saw her. Of course, that could be because I've got an eighteen year-old boyfriend with a stamina rune and she doesn't."
Alec sputtered. "As the person being objectified, I ... object to that description of me.”

Cassandra Clare
“And I don’t see how Sebastian can be all that fond of Jace, either. He was horribly jealous of him all his life. He thought Jace was Valentine’s favorite,” added Clary.
“Not to mention,” Magnus noted, “that Jace killed him. That would put anyone off.”

Cassandra Clare
“How was the Seelie Queen?"
"Same as usual."
"Raging bitch, then?"
"Pretty much.”

“No one blames her."
"That never matters," said Alec. "Not when you blame yourself.”

Cassandra Clare
“Ah,” said Magnus. “Nerd love. It is a beautiful thing, while also being an object of mockery and hilarity for those of us who are more sophisticated.”

Cassandra Clare
“Isabelle waved a hand. "No need to worry, big brother. Nothing happened. Of course," she added as Alex'a shoulders relaxed, "I was totally passed-out drunk, so he could really have done whatever he wanted and I wouldn't have woken up."
"Oh, please," said Simon. "All I did was tell you the entire plot of Star Wars."
"I don't think I remember that," said Isabelle, taking a cookie from the plate on the table.
"Oh, yeah? Who was Luke Skywalker's best childhood friend?"
"Biggs Darklighter," Isabelle said immediately, and then hit the table with the flat of her hand."That is so cheating!”

Cassandra Clare
“You may have the worst timing since Napoleon decided the dead of winter was the right moment to invade Russia.”

Cassandra Clare
“Simon rolled his eyes. “It’s a good thing we know the person who’s dating Magnus Bane,” he said. “Otherwise, I get the feeling we’d all just lie around all the time wondering what the hell to do next. Or trying to raise the money to hire him by selling lemonade or something.”
Alec looked merely irritated by this comment. “The only way you could raise enough money to hire Magnus by selling lemonade is if you put meth in it.”

Cassandra Clare
“What have you done to my cat?" Magnus demanded... "You drank his blood, didn't you? You said you weren't hungry!"
Simon was indignant. "I did not drink his blood. He's fine!" He poked the Chairman in the stomach. The cat yawned. "Second, you asked me if I was hungry when you were ordering pizza, so I said no, because I can't eat pizza. I was being polite."
"That doesn't get you the right to eat my cat."
"Your cat is fine!" Simon reached to pick up the tabby, who jumped indignantly to his feet and stalked off the table. "See?"
"Whatever.”

05/08 page 64
12.0% "Loving it!"
05/09 page 100
19.0% "Sebastion you are a sick sick creeper."
05/11 page 238
44.0% "Saving the person you love would you raise heaven and hell to do it"
05/11 page 285
53.0% "Love this book.I hate Sebastian and am trying to figure out his game.I also want Alec to stop being stupid and who is Magnus's father ?"
05/12 page 350
65.0% "What is up with Sebastian?I can't figure him out.Magnus's dream,Silent Brothers,Iron Sisters,this book is amazing and I don't know how I am going to make it intil 2014 for the last book"
05/12 page 364
68.0% "I'm on chapter 16 titled Brothers and Sisters"
05/12 page 431
80.0% "chapter 19 Love and Blood how am i going to make it intil the last book is released in 2014 I don't know at least I still have the infernal devises to read"
05/12 page 453
85.0% "Sebastian is such a creeper.I didn't think he would get any creeper but he has.I am almost done and I don't want it to end."
02/28 page 0
0.0% "doing a quick reread"
03/04 page 0
0.0% "almost done with the reread"
06/10 marked as: currently-reading
06/10 page 87
16.0% "starting my reread
I am so behind on all my reading"
06/14 page 287
53.0% "I just love this book.It is so much better then book 4(which is Clare's weakest book IMO)"
06/16 page 350
65.0% "I will always think Sebastian is creepy and a psychopath.I hope he doesn't survive the next book."
06/19 page 535
100.0% "LOVE LOVE this book."
06/19 marked as: read