Chantel's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Jan 24, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, 2011-beehive-recommended
Read in January, 2009

This is my favorite retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses. Jessica Day George stays true to the original fairy tale and explains parts that have never made sense to me before. For instance, why did the silly girls go down the magical stairs in the first place? Did they want to stay up all night ruining their shoes and worrying their parents? What compelled them to keep visiting the underground island? I loved Princess of the Midnight Ball! Go Jessica!

*A side note... my husband saw the book at the end of our bed and said, "I didn't think you read trashy romance novels. Looks like you've started!" I would love a different cover!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.

message 1: by Aspen (new) - added it

Aspen That is so funny! I don't think the cover looks trashy. Am I not seeing something?
Is this a book my girls would enjoy???? Also I need you to recommend several books for Bailey that she can read by herself. Not just story books but a real book she can fall in love with. I kind of want to challenge her a little bit. Any ideas?

Love you

Chantel This book is probably 6-grade plus. I'm toying with letting Kaitlyn read it.

Has she read Moxy Maxwell does not love Stuart Little or Clementine? What kids of books has she been reading?

message 3: by Aspen (new) - added it

Aspen Well to be honest she hasn't read much of anything but storybooks. She has read Frog and Toad and The Adventures of Berenstain Bears which I think are a little easy for, and has just started Little House in the Woods. She hasn't read Moxy Maxwell does not love Stuart Little or Clementine. Would you recommend these for her?

message 4: by CLM (new) - added it

CLM I thought your review was going to end: "I would love a different husband!"

Clickety Aspen - I know this is coming a bit late, but I'd suggest Roald Dahl and Edward Eager.