Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Captivated

Captivated by Lauren Dane

Posted on Under the Covers

Lauren Dane crafts an emotionally-charged story that brings a broken woman named Hannah Black from the confining net that total isolation by the Imperialist troops have casted over her. Eleven months she was held captive, but when Vincenz Fardelle rescues her from them, readers see the spine of steel hidden beneath the abused woman.

It was easy to like Hannah. Despite being emotionally sensitive, she is a strong woman who does what is necessary to survive and return to her previous state. She undergoes treatment that is uncomfortable for her, but with the help of Vincenz and Julian Marsters, the slow steps they take towards recovery have shown her resilience and a core strength that cannot be denied.

Vincenz and Julian are also great characters that show sympathy and kindness towards Hannah. But they are also very passionate people. It was clearly evident that Vincenz and Julian love each other and Dane does a great job of making that known on the first few pages of this book. Dane then adds Hannah into that mix and it was interesting to see how this protectiveness extended towards her too. I must comment on the sex scenes in this book. Dane incorporates a variety of sex scenes – there are M/M scenes, M/F/M, and M/F scenes. There’s a lot of goodness in it, but I know some are more hesitant about M/M scenes so this is a fair warning. For me, this was a perfect balance. I loved that Dane did scenes with Hannah and the men separately as well as together because it shows how well they are together as a threesome.

Again, the worldbuilding is interesting and engaging, giving the story a natural push as the war approaches and Hannah takes a more active part in the role. I have to say that I was really impressed by this book and hope to read more from Dane because not only was it emotionally gripping, but it was hella hot too!

*ARC provided by author
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivated.

03/17/2012 page 57
18.0% "Loving this! Chapter two was really hot!"
03/18/2012 page 162