April's Reviews > The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Aug 08, 08

bookshelves: own, fantasy, arthurian, highly-recommended
Recommended to April by: started reading it in high school, then put it away. Curiosity
Recommended for: fantasy lovers, people who enjoy language and a good yarn
Read in August, 2008

Excellent, engrossing book. What can I say that has not already been said? T.H. White has a love affair with words, at parts his language is simple, at other moments ornate. All I really can say is read this book and, hopefully you will fall in love/adore the characters as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Once and Future King.

Quotes April Liked

T.H. White
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”
T.H. White, The Once and Future King

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlyn (new) - added it

Darlyn Hi April! A quick question, how was the writing style? is it like reading The lords of the rings? I'm planning to read this one after watching Magneto in X-men 2 reading the book. quite intrigued!

April Darlyn wrote: "Hi April! A quick question, how was the writing style? is it like reading The lords of the rings? I'm planning to read this one after watching Magneto in X-men 2 reading the book. quite intrigued!"

Yeah, it's quite a bit like LotR. I mean, intricate descriptions and such.