Caroline's Reviews > Raylan

Raylan by Elmore Leonard

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: fiction, read-in-2012, audio
Read from March 16 to 19, 2012

Picked this up because I really do love the show, Justified, that was based off the title character. At first I attempted to read this, but the structure and flow just didn't read right for me so I picked up the audiobook version from the website--much better, especially since the narrator does a good job with the accents and voices so it's easier to tell people apart (Leonard's style is pretty sparse in spots so it's kind of hard to tell where the dialogue is coming from for me).

I enjoyed this, but didn't like Raylan as much in here as I like him in the show. Everything feels a bit sleazier in here than it is on Justified, including Raylan.

This covers a few different storylines from season 2 and 3 of the show, melding them together differently than what was on TV with slightly different outcomes. Having watched them first I prefer what I saw on the show, but I did enjoy the stories here. The poker line I didn't care much for, but I know next to nothing about poker and it did get a whole lot more technical than I understood or cared about. Still, not bad and I will probably be picking up the other Raylan stories by Leonard himself, despite not caring for the book version of him as much.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raylan.

03/16/2012 page 1
17.0% "Had started reading this, but swapped to the audio version. The writing style is way better suited for audio."