Larraine's Reviews > The End of the Wasp Season

The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina

Mar 16, 2012

Read from March 13 to 16, 2012

arah Erroll is napping in her childhood nursery. Just back from New York, she has jet lag. She hears a noise. Two boys are there, one of them screaming about kids. She's confused, tries to tell them there are no kids here. She is brutally murdered. I hadn't read anything by Denise Mina before that I can remember. I may have started one and decided not to finish it. This book was riveting. I had a hard time putting it down. Detective Alex Morrow is an interesting character. She's the brother of a gangster. Her bosses don't know that about her. She's married, expecting twins, still mourning the death of her first child who died from meningitis. She's a tough woman in a man's world, especially in a Scottish police department. As the case unfolds, she meets an old school mate, Kay, who, though the same age, looks much older. Kay has four children by different men and barely scrapes by. She cleans and takes care of elderly people. This is one of the beautifully written books which, despite the violence, is so very human and dark yet hopeful. I hope Ms. Mina writes another Alex Morrow book. I would like to get to know her better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of the Wasp Season.