Karyl's Reviews > Outlaw

Mar 19, 2012

bookshelves: interlibrary-loans, 2012
Recommended to Karyl by: Simon
Read from March 16 to 19, 2012

Am I glad I read this book! My friend Simon James Atkinson Turney, a published author himself, pointed me to this book as an excellent take on the Robin Hood story. Twelfth-century England isn't usually my favorite time period for historical fiction, but this was fantastic. Told from the point of view of Alan Dale, one of Robin Hood's sworn men, this novel clearly shows how full of turmoil this time period was for even the simplest man. One day you'd be figuring out how to feed your family and take care of your livestock -- the next day, you'd be dead, a pawn in the war between Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham. Your only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Donald does an excellent job of crafting his story; the only times I felt it dragged a bit was during the battle scenes. I'm not one for blood and gore, so others who might not mind as much, or people interested in medieval battle strategy may be more interested in these scenes. But it was an excellent peek into a time period that is virtually lost in the mists of time. I would highly recommend this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlaw.