Emily Dahl's Reviews > College Girls: Bluestockings, Sex Kittens, and Co-eds, Then and Now

College Girls by Lynn Peril

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, wost
Read from March 16 to April 04, 2012

This book was quite enjoyable - very educational and got me thinking about women and education, and my own education (what if I had gone to a women only institution?). However, Peril's writing style this time around didn't do it for me. She used pointlessly obscure vocabulary that didn't serve to further her arguments and, at times, became suddenly moralizing. I started off hanging off of her every word, but unfortunately that quickly lost steam. It would also seem that she forgot about the "and Now" portion of her title.

On a positive note, I loved all the pictures that she included! The photographs of women's basketball teams in the late 1890s alone were fantastic.

All things considered, it was still a good book that I would recommend to people who are looking for a history of women and higher education.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read College Girls.

03/19/2012 page 28
7.0% "I wouldn't mind having been called "protomathian" instead of "first year" at Olaf (although being called First Year made me feel like I was at Hogwarts...)."
03/19/2012 page 54
13.0% "From a 1949 guide for brand-new college girls: "The coed's first days at college are full of Opportunities. There is no time to be an ice cube" Wise words."
03/19/2012 page 57
14.0% "On a related pop culture note: this book makes me want to watch Mona Lisa Smile."
03/29/2012 page 244
59.0% "New favorite word: "hoyden: a girl or woman of saucy, boisterous, or carefree behavior." BOOurns that the synonyms listed are "unfeminine, unladylike, etc." Way to play into gender stereotypes, Merriam Webster."
03/29/2012 page 256
62.0% "Totally by accident I just learned all about Paracelsus, a 16th century German Swiss renaissance physician, botanist, alchemist, astrologist, & general occultist. Old school scientists were bonkers. I love it." 1 comment
show 3 hidden updates…