Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Black Lament

4561998
Oct 26, 12

Read from September 16 to 20, 2012

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The Black Wings series started out relatively strong with the first installment. In fact, I gave book one 4 stars out of 5. The two follow-up novels, Black Night and Black Howl, were only so-so, but Black Lament was absolutely atrocious. The main plot is trivial at best, the protagonist is a childish, arrogant, crazy person and the action is over-the-top ridiculous. This series went from good, to ok, to really bad and, as a result, I'm giving up on Madeline Black. There's just no coming back from this. I gave Christina Henry 4 chances to win me over and she failed so I can't say that I didn't give it my best shot.

Madeline comes across as a 4 year old throwing a temper tantrum for most of this novel. She just goes around pissing on everyone and then kills them when they oppose her. No matter how powerful and/or ancient her opponent is, she somehow manages to slice through them like butter. It's ridiculous. "Oh hello millennia old fae king... *BAM* I win." I mean, what the hell kind of battle is that!?! "Look at me, I'm Madeline Black, granddaughter of Lucifer and I can do whatever the f#@k I want." Normally a heroine is supposed to grow with every installment not deteriorate. Towards the end I think that Black actually turns evil. I somehow doubt that that's what Henry was going for but that's what I got out of Black Lament. Also, why did the author make her an Agent of Death when she doesn't collect any souls? Maddy's asked to do one, maybe two pick-ups (which she botches) but other than that... this aspect of her character is completely ignored and seems pointless.

"Too bad I don't think anyone is superior to me," I said. - Page 193.

The main plot was, for lack of a better word, insignificant. First off, there are so many competing story lines that it's hard to identify which one is the main one. Secondly, the only reason why any of these problems exist to begin with is because of Maddy. If she'd stop mouthing off and killing people for no good reason, maybe just maybe, they'd stop trying to off her! All of her allies are aware of her bad habits and they just shrug them off or make jokes about them. Ooh, it's just Black, she has a tendency of burning things to the grown. Eeumm, hello? Does no one else see a problem with this? Lastly, the plots from the four books don't really seem to follow each other overly much. I still haven't been able to figure out the direction in which this story is going. The only reason why I've persisted with these novels for as long as I have is because of the cliff hanger endings but even those won't be able to save this series this time. I refuse to fall for it again; I'm not even slightly curious about what comes next. I just don't care. She's probably going to blow up the world at this rate.

All of the elements that I disliked in previous installments are magnified in Black Lament. Madeline Black is one of the most annoying characters that I've ever had the displeasure of reading about. The plot is a senseless mixture of nonsense and the flow reminds me of being in a car where the driver doesn't know how to work a stick shift. Farewell Black Wings and good riddance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Lament.

09/17/2012 page 49
17.0% "Apparently there's no recap chapter... *sigh*"
09/18/2012 page 108
37.0% "So far the story line is just a big jumbled mess."
09/18/2012 page 144
50.0% "4 books in & this series hasn't gotten any better. I think it's time to call it quits." 1 comment
09/20/2012 page 200
69.0% ""Too bad I don't think anyone is superiorr to me," I said. -page 193. Madeline Black is clearly getting worse with every book instead of better." 5 comments