Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)'s Reviews > Ten

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Jan 26, 14

bookshelves: wow, src
Read from July 03 to 05, 2012

I really love the typography on this cover!

I was apprehensive about reading Ten because I'm a wussy, but all of the buzz pulled me in and I figured I could handle it if I read it in the mornings. So I did. Read it in the mornings, that is.

When all was said and done, I didn't really need to take such precautions. There IS blood and murder and sneaking around and weirdo island things but I wasn't as scared as I was anticipating, and for that I was surprised. After I finished reading I was wondering to myself why this had happened, and I think one of the major reasons was simply that I didn't connect with Meg, the teenager we follow as the reader. A big part of that is because in the beginning we kind of flip from Minnie to Meg back and forth very quickly and I was often confused because of the way the third person narration was written.

Another part that I had difficulty with were the scenes with all ten teenagers, as we are introduced to them all quite quickly and then they are in a room together with the narration flipping from person to person. I wasn't able to grasp the room as a whole because I was more busy trying to figure out who was who and how they were related to the others.

I haven't read the Agatha Christie book this is based on, but I did read a summarized version after I finished Ten. The basic plot is the same but quite a bit is different, so I think that fans of the Christie novel will be delighted to know it's not a literal retelling (as some retellings are), and they will still be surprised at some of the elements.

Overall I enjoyed this book and read it fast, but was disappointed in the lack of scary that I felt. Maybe I'm not as much of a wuss as I thought!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten.

dateDown_arrow    newest »