Marie's Reviews > The Year of Pleasures

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: 2011
Read in November, 2011

A word of advice for recent newlyweds, or anyone in a relationship for that matter, who want to read this book: don't! It is beyond sad. 55 year old Betta Nolan's husband, John, recently passed away from cancer. Before he died she promised him she would do what they had always planned to do together, so she sells her house and moves to the Midwest where she begins to meet the locals. Berg writes so well about the grief one feels from missing a loved one and as a newlywed I felt so sad reading about the loss of a spouse.

In addition to the sadness of the premise, there is also the plot itself. After decades of not talking to her former college roommates, Betta calls one up after moving into her new house and instantly they all reconnect and become best friends again. Likewise, everyone she meets instantly becomes chummy. The relationships felt forced and unrealistic for this reason. The only relationship that did seem real was the one with her late husband and that left me feeling even more depressed.

I would give Elizabeth Berg another try because I did enjoy her writing. I would just not choose one so unrelentingly sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Pleasures.