Julie's Reviews > Darkness Hunts

Nov 13, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from November 01 to 08, 2012

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Darkness Hunts is the fourth book in Keri Arthur’s Dark Angels series and I must say I am a bit confused by this series. The first two books made it quite clear that this series was going to be about Risa and her ‘companions’ and their quest to find these very important Keys and save (or not save) the world. Then in the last book we went way off track to the point where the Keys were barely mentioned. That made me scratch my head. In this installment, the Keys are mentioned quite a bit but only at the very end do we get a clue as to where the second Key is. The rest of the book is filled with an out-of-the-blue-and-not-having-anything-to-do-with-the-other-books plot that, while interesting, seemed out of place as a whole to the series. I just wonder at what this series is actually trying to be every time I pick up a new book in this series lately.

I still really like Risa but I’m wondering how she hasn’t taken a blow torch to the world yet. Or a rocket launcher. She is constantly being dragged into things that really, I wonder why she’s a part of them. This time around she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and other times she’s being used to find out more about these Keys because her father is the one who lost them and other times she is just being spied on and kidnapped (which happens surprisingly often). Sometimes it’s frustrating to read about her situation because she really doesn’t deserve any of this and she just seems to be getting deeper and deeper into sh*t. I love her character. I love how she is not a super-woman type. She’s stubborn but only because she doesn’t want to drag those she loves into this hell that is now her life but she is not afraid to ask for help when she needs it. She wants to do what is best and is trying desperately to figure out the best course of action. She is a strong character who deserves so much better than she’s getting in these books. I am looking forward to her catching a break somewhere.

Lucian is an arse. After book one, I adored him. Now he’s an arse. But he’s supposed to be so it’s all good. Keri is really making it seem like he is the ultimate bad guy (or one of them anyways) but I’m wondering if he’s the too obvious choice. Is she playing him up just to cover up for someone else we are not suspecting? I’m curious to see how that plays out.

Azriel is still a wonderful character full of angst and mystery but in this installment he drove me a bit bonkers at times. He and Risa want to be together but it’s not a good idea. I won’t go into why but let’s just say that the world as we know it could change if they do. But witnessing the “I want to be with you but I can’t but I really want to but I really can’t and I know you want to but we can’t and things are just too dangerous so we can’t” over and over and over got a bit tiresome for me. I am glad with the direction things seem to be taking with Azriel and Risa at the end of the book but only the next book will tell us if that direction will actually stick…because I thought it would be a little different this time around too. But nope, it was not.

I will say this…you don’t quite know what you’ll get when you pick up a book in this series. Good or bad, you decide.

As I mentioned before, what ended up the major plot line in this book, even though feeling a little misplaced in the series, was interesting and well done. The villain was all kinds of creepy and I was glad when happenings happened to him. Bad bad man…

Honestly, I am all over the place when it comes to Darkness Hunts. I love the characters in this series and the Key plot line is good but all these side plots lines are feeling distracting to me lately. I would love for the next book to focus solely on the Keys and Risa’s journey to find the second one. Keri mentioned that she would like to write 7…if not 8 books in this series. So seeing that the next book is book five and there are 4 Keys to find, it makes sense that we get back to that point of these books. I adored the first book and quite liked the second. I really hope to find that same enjoyment in the next installment.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Hunts.

message 2: by Julie (last edited Nov 09, 2012 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julie I think I'll rating it 4 like you did. Not a bad book but where does it really belong in the series. It was a lot better than the last book and it did talk of keys quite a bit but I didn't get the point of the faceless man plot when there are keys to find. Why the different plots when the keys are supposed to be so important?! And why is Risa always in the middle of it all? At least the next book should be about the keys and things with Azriel should be better. The 'I want it but can't have it' really drove me nuts lol.
So what I mean is that it was actually a good book but not sure about the 'book-in-this-series' aspect.