Gary's Reviews > The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life

The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life by Tara Altebrando

Aug 04, 12

Read from August 03 to 04, 2012

This was an awesome read.

I can't describe how much I enjoyed turning the pages of this wonderful book, soaking in all the thrills and drama.

Yep, anything with drama in it (worthy drama) gets a score from me!

So, about this book...well, it's a scavenger hunt organised for the seniors before they graduate from high school. Not really an official one, for the record. We follow Mary, Winter, Dez and Patrick as they try to win, as a means of proving to resident jerk Barcone that they aren't losers.

Whilst reading, I kind of wished that I could participate in a scavenger hunt like that. What fun it would be!!

And to think that I'm graduating in a years' time.

What I Liked About the Book:

1. Amazing, original concept of a scavenger hunt! First time I'm reading one like this, really. The writer deserves a round of applause just for coming up with this. Of course, she was inspired by a similar one that she experienced, so......

Anyway.

I really loved the idea and basis for high school drama fiction.

2. Talking about high school drama, I was kind of surprised that it existed in this book. I mean, I thought there was JUST the scavenger hunt, and then as my reading progressed, interesting things started to unfold and escalate. But of course! Stuff's about to go down when people work together right? Especially in hunts. Look at the Amazing Race series, for example.

Well, I guess I actually enjoyed the drama within because it was popcorn-worthy. Never dull, never boring, and it just got better and better!

3. Character development! Hooray!! Especially for the lead character, Mary. It was real wonderful to follow her as she kind of 'grew up' in the midst of the hunt -- learning new things, letting the past go, willingly giving up things she couldn't have, dealing with relationships and friendships, becoming a better person.

4. Amazing character dynamics was also a strong aspect in this book. The interactions, dialogues etc. among Mary, Dex, Winter and Patrick were what made the story even more realistic and genuine.

5. An excellent pageturner, plus it's hilarious. What more can you ask for?

What I Didn't:

1. Not a single thing.

Verdict:

This is one of the best Contemporary YA books I've read, and I do urge you to pick it up!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life.

08/03/2012 page 86
36.0% "scavenger hunt!! freaking awesome so far."
08/03/2012 page 239
100.0% "one of the best books i've read this year!"