Espen's Reviews > Soul of the Fire

Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind

Sep 14, 08

bookshelves: 1st-edition, signed
Recommended for: Fans of Sword of Truth, those who've read his first 4 books and want to go on.
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

This book is a lot slower going than the previous four, perhaps because Terry Goodkind is putting a lot of focus on characters we have never heard of up until now. At halfway through the book he picks up the pace though, and the last half of the book is actually very enjoyable.

Still, not even close to being one of Goodkind's best books, and it took a strong recommendation from someone that had read the entirety of it to bring this book back out of the bookshelf.

The big weakness of the book is, I think, that he tries to write a book that mainly revolves around political scheming and plotting, but neglects to give us the juicy details. We are just given second or third hand accounts of various successful schemes, hardly the way to go if you want the reader to be interested in turning the next page. Also, the main plotter, Dalton Campbell, seems to be able to accomplish virtually anything, without any kind of difficulty, encountering no problems, even when he assassinates the religious leader of the country. Not really a believable character, in other words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul of the Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Midgie I completely agree with your review of this book. I kept wondering when I'd see more of the characters I'd fallen in love with previously instead of concentrating so much on the Anders/Haken whom I had no attachment.