Zohal's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

8219957
Mar 16, 2012

bookshelves: my-top-100, addicted-to-ya-challenge, my-library-books-i-own, no-1-s-in-my-book, tip-top-all-time-favourites
Read in July, 2012

You always find out one new detail you missed the first time when you re-read it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Quotes Zohal Liked

J.K. Rowling
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”

J.K. Rowling
“Ron's indignation on his behalf was worth about a hundred points to him.”

J.K. Rowling
“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

J.K. Rowling
“I took a wrong turn on the way to the bathroom and found myself in a beautifully proportioned room I had never seen before, containing a really rather magnificent collection of chamberpots. When I went back to investigate more closely, I discovered that the room had vanished. But I must keep an eye out for it. Possibly it is only accessible at five thirty in the morning. Or it may only appear at the quarter moon - or when the seeker has an exceptionally full bladder.”

J.K. Rowling
“Percy wouldn't notice a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing one of Dobby's hats.”

J.K. Rowling
“It is my belief... that the truth is generally preferable to lies.”

J.K. Rowling
“It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.”

J.K. Rowling
“I’m never wearing them," Ron was saying stubbornly. "Never."
"Fine," snapped Mrs. Weasley. "Go naked. And, Harry, make sure you get a picture of him. Goodness knows I could do with a laugh.”

J.K. Rowling
“Aaah ... when two Neptunes appear in the sky it is a sure sign that a midget in glasses is being born, Harry...”

J.K. Rowling
“Just then Neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.”

J.K. Rowling
“Twitchy little ferret, aren't you, Malfoy?”

J.K. Rowling
“What would come, would come...and you would have to meet it, when it did.”

J.K. Rowling
“Well, I certainly don't," said Percy sanctimoniously. "I shudder to think what the state of my in-tray would be if I was away from work for five days."
"Yeah, someone might slip dragon dung in it again, eh, Perce?" said Fred.
"That was a sample of fertilizer from Norway!" said Percy, going very red in the face. "It was nothing personal!"
"It was," Fred whispered to Harry as they got up from the table. "We sent it.”

J.K. Rowling
“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”

“Don't talk to me."
"Why not?"
"Because I want to fix that in my memory for ever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret...”

J.K. Rowling
“I have gone temporarily deaf and haven't any idea what you said, Harry.”

“Constant vigilance!”

J.K. Rowling
“As Harry and Ron rounded the clump of trees behind which Harry had first heard the dragons roar, a witch leapt out from behind them.
It was Rita Skeeter. She was wearing acid-green robes today; the Quick-Quotes Quill in her hand blended perfectly against them.
"Congratulations, Harry!' she said beaming at him. "I wonder if you could give me a quick word? How you felt facing that dragon? How do you feel now about the fairness of the scoring?"
"Yeah, you can have a word," said Harry savagely. "Goodbye!”

J.K. Rowling
“Just because it’s taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!”

J.K. Rowling
“Anyone can speak Troll. All you have to do is point and grunt.”

J.K. Rowling
“Curiosity is not a sin.... But we should exercise caution with our curiosity... yes, indeed.”

J.K. Rowling
“Wild!" Ron said, twiddling the replay knob on the side. "I can make that old bloke down there pick his nose again... and again... and again...”

J.K. Rowling
“I thought it sounded a bit like Percy singing... maybe you've got to attack him while he's in the shower, Harry.”

J.K. Rowling
“She should've interviewed Snape," said Harry grimly. "He'd give her the goods on me any day. "Potter has been crossing lines ever since he first arrived at this school...

J.K. Rowling
“Who're you going with, then?" said Ron.
"Angelina," said Fred promptly, without a trace of embarrassment.
"What?" said Ron, taken aback. "You've already asked her?"
"Good point," said Fred. He turned his head and called across the common room, "Oi! Angelina!"
Angelina, who had been chatting with Alicia Spinnet near the fire, looked over at him.
"What?" She called back.
"Want to come to the ball with me?"
Angelina gave Fred a sort of appraising look.
"All right, then," she said, and she turned back to Alicia and carried on chatting with a bit of a grin on her face.
"There you go," said Fred to Harry and Ron, "piece of cake.”

J.K. Rowling
“This is mad,” said Ron. “We’re the only ones left who haven’t got anyone — well, except Neville. Hey — guess who he asked? Hermione!”
What?” said Harry, completely distracted by this startling news.
“Yeah, I know!” said Ron, some of the color coming back into his face as he started to laugh. “He told me after Potions! Said she’s always been really nice, helping him out with work and stuff — but she told him she was already going with someone. Ha! As if! She just didn’t want to go with Neville...I mean, who would?”

J.K. Rowling
“Because - oh shut up laughing, you two - because they've just been turned down by girls they asked to the ball!”

J.K. Rowling
“Really Hagrid, if you are holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a very long time”

J.K. Rowling
“Next time there’s a ball, ask me before someone else does, and not as a last resort!”

J.K. Rowling
“Harry, Cedric, I suggest you both go up to bed," said Dumbledore, smiling at both of them. "I am sure Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are waiting to celebrate with you, and it would be a shame to deprive them of this excellent excuse to make a great deal of mess and noise.”

J.K. Rowling
“Muggle women wear them, Archie, not the men, they wear these,' said the Ministry wizard, and he brandished the pinstriped trousers.

'I'm not putting them on,' said old Archie in indignation. 'I like a healthy breeze 'round my privates, thanks.”

J.K. Rowling
“Play to your strengths."

"I haven’t got any," said Harry, before he could stop himself.

"Excuse me," growled Moody, "you’ve got strengths if I say you’ve got them. Think now. What are you best at?”

J.K. Rowling
“Enjoying it? I don’t reckon he’d come home if Dad didn’t make him. He’s obsessed. Just don’t get him on the subject of his boss. According to Mr. Crouch…as I was saying to Mr. Crouch… Mr. Crouch is of the opinion… Mr. Crouch was telling me… They’ll be announcing their engagement any day now.”

J.K. Rowling
“Everythin' seems ter happen ter you, doesn' it?”

J.K. Rowling
“Hedwig didn't return until the end of the Easter holidays. Percy's letter was enclosed in a package of Easter eggs that Mrs. Weasley had sent. Both Harry's and Ron's were the size of dragon eggs, and full of home-made toffee. Hermione's, however, was smaller than a chicken's egg. Her face fell when she saw it.
"Your mum doesn't read Witch's Weekly, by any chance, does she, Ron?" she asked quietly.
"Yeah," said Ron, whose mouth was full of toffee. "Gets it for the recipes."
Hermione looked sadly at her tiny egg.”

J.K. Rowling
“Don't be stupid, it's a flying house!”

J.K. Rowling
“You’re JOKING!” said Fred Weasley loudly.
The tension that had filled the Hall ever since Moody’s arrival suddenly broke. Nearly everyone laughed, and Dumbledore chuckled appreciatively.
“I am not joking, Mr. Weasley,” he said, “though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar...”
Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly.
“Er — but maybe this is not the time... no...” said Dumbledore.”

J.K. Rowling
“He sounds exactly like Moody," said Harry quietly, tucking the letter away again inside his robes. "'Constant vigilance!' You'd think I walk around with my eyes shut, banging off the walls....”

J.K. Rowling
“Bubotubers,” Professor Sprout told them briskly. “They need squeezing. You will collect the pus —”
“The what?” said Seamus Finnigan, sounding revolted.
“Pus, Finnigan, pus,” said Professor Sprout.”
tags: humor

J.K. Rowling
“And that boys," yelled Mr. Weasley over the tumult of the crowd below,"is why you should never go for looks alone!”

J.K. Rowling
“There. Maybe if you're lucky, you'll get a scar! That's what you want, isn't it?”

J.K. Rowling
“The fridge had been emptied of all Dudley’s favorite things — fizzy drinks and cakes, chocolate bars and burgers — and filled instead with fruit and vegetables and the sorts of things that Uncle Vernon called “rabbit food.”

J.K. Rowling
“He [Uncle Vernon] held up the envelope in which Mrs. Weasley’s letter had come, and Harry had to fight down a laugh. Every bit of it was covered in stamps except for a square inch on the front, into which Mrs. Weasley had squeezed the Dursleys’ address in minute writing.
“She did put enough stamps on, then,” said Harry, trying to sound as though Mrs. Weasley’s was a mistake anyone could make.”

J.K. Rowling
“I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost . . . but still, I was alive.”

J.K. Rowling
“As far as informing the headmaster, Harry had no idea where Dumbledore went during the summer holidays. He amused himself for a moment, picturing Dumbledore, with his long silver beard, full-length wizard's robes, and pointed hat, stretched out on a beach somewhere, rubbing suntan lotion onto his long crooked nose.”

J.K. Rowling
“Of course we still want to know you!" Harry said, staring at Hagrid.
"You don't think anything that Skeeter cow - sorry, Professor," he added quickly, looking at Dumbledore.
"I have gone temporarily deaf and haven't any idea what you said, Harry," said Dumbledore, twiddling his thumbs and staring at the ceiling.”

“Oh, shut up Weatherby.”

J.K. Rowling
“But Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light.
“Hermione, Neville’s right — you are a girl. . . .”
“Oh well spotted,” she said acidly.”

J.K. Rowling
“Your devotion is nothing more than cowardice. You would not be here if you had anywhere else to go.”

J.K. Rowling
“You've got to appreciate what the worst is. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you're facing it.”

07/04/2012 page 70
07/04/2012 page 106
14.0% "Up to the chapter *The Dark Mark*"
07/05/2012 page 219
30.0% "Chapter sixteen goblet of fire chapter"
07/06/2012 page 351
48.0% "Up to the yule ball God ! Sometimes, i forget that Ron can be a thickhead."
07/06/2012 page 495
67.0% "I'll probably finish this by tonight. I'm up to the chapters just before the final task and the whole confronting voldemort thing"
02/19/2016 marked as: read