Jamie's Reviews > The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century

The Lady Tasting Tea by David Salsburg

Aug 07, 08

Read in December, 2006

The full title here is The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century. This book by David Salsburg is pretty much what the title suggests: part history of the rise of statistical methods in scientific research and part biography about the people responsible for it. This probably isn't a book for anyone not already versed in inferential statistics and related subjects. It won't, for example, teach you much about statistics, so you'll be pretty lost or at best unimpressed by most of the stories and adulations the book contains. I would have appreciated a bit more exposition and explanation, but for those of us with a background in stats, it keeps things at a sufficiently high level so that we're not forced to pull out our old textbooks just to know what's going on.

And it's pretty interesting stuff. While Salsburg lacks (or at least holds in reserve) the panache and wit necessary to make this a really entertaining read, he does give glimpses into both the absurdity and mundanity of scientific process in this area. I was amused to learn, for example, that many august statistical techniques like analysis of variance were created so that someone could figure out how much artifical cow poop to spread over an acre of farm land. The book also tracks some of the more interesting personalities in the field, relating tales about how William Gossett created a now common and relatively simple procedure known as "Student's t-test" while working for a beer brewery (Guiness, no less) whose strict policies about sharing research forced him to publish under the (perhaps unimaginative) psudonym "Student." And then there were the cat fights and irrational, career-long grudges that these men and women slung around at each other. Though not quite on the level of say Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, this book does a decent job of layering those pedestrial and alltogether human eccentricities over the enormity of the scientific accomplishments they created.

So while not exactly light reading and not for the uninitiated, it's a pretty interesting read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady Tasting Tea.