Lynxie's Reviews > Tales the Wind Told Me

Tales the Wind Told Me by Rachel Eliason

Dec 02, 12

bookshelves: made-me-think, 4-star-review, indie-review-copies
Read from June 04 to 07, 2012

Tales the Wind Told me was a collection of short tales that centered around LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Transgender) characters. You wouldn't know this if you stumbled across the GR page or the Amazon page as neither have much of a description, but in a world where sexuality is such a key news story these days I would have expected this story to be Out and proud!

Some of the stories I didn't click with as well as others, but I thoroughly enjoyed the following:

Dancing with Death
This was brilliant and saddening, but also sweet and thought provoking. It reminded me of my own Irish grandfather (who is thankfully still with me). This one didn't need to be any longer, or have anything added to it, it was perfect!

The troll stories
I actually quite liked these too, I agreed with Rachel's forward musings about these, that they could be turned into a bigger story. I would most definitely buy it if it was! Enjoyable, with hard-hitting themes, mixed with fantasy!

Gemone
Was my second favourite. I want to know more! Rachel, please, please write more of this story! I loved the characters, although Markus was a bit hard to like initially. I loved the ideas behind the world they lived in and really enjoyed the science aspect of this sci-fi tale!

I didn't enjoy FLM very much, even though I can see the goal of the writing, I felt it threw the reader off the 'vibe' of the book and didn't quite fit.

All up, the collection is a great introduction to a new author who should have a lot of readers! Be they Straight, Male, Female, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual or Transgender. This collection is a really enjoyable read.

Some things I noticed:

31% - '...It (insert is) also completely true;'

64% - '...Jerry squeezed down to (should be too) narrow halls...'

68% - '...successfully completed no less that (should be than) ten...'

77% - '...There will (insert be) many chances...'

82% - '...so it (insert is) less frequent...'

NOTE: I receieved a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales the Wind Told Me.

06/04/2012
06/05/2012
31.0% "quick read!"
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel Eliason Thanks very much for the review and for catching those few typos that remain. I appreciate it.