Carol Wyer's Reviews > Playing With The Bad Boys

Playing With The Bad Boys by Sylvia Massara

May 05, 12

Read from March 16 to April 12, 2012

Watch out Janet Evanovich, there's a new 'girl' on the block! Admittedly, she is older than Stephanie Plum but this is a ballsy lady with credibility and determination.
48 year old Mia Ferrari (who wouldn't want a great name like that?) holds down the position of duty manager at a top Rourke hotel in Sydney. Once rejected by the police force, thanks to her ex-husband and a policeman called Smythe, Mia is a sleuth at heart.
A suicide occurs on her watch at the hotel and Mia's gut reaction is that foul play is at work. When arch enemy Smyth decides that it is an open and shut case it is Mia, together with good friend and work colleague Dobbs and the hotel manager's son who set about proving there is more to it all.
The plot is fast-paced and absorbing. Mia is sassy and very smart. She is the sort of woman you would love to have as a friend and not just because she is a dab hand at cooking Italian food. She is loyal, compassionate and funny. As Dobbs points out she is a 'wise-ass' but Mia is also a remarkable woman. She has only just emerged from a heartbreaking break-up after eighteen years of marriage. Her husband has left her for a floozy several years his junior. Does this get the formidable Mia down? No, she picks herself up and starts all over again with entertaining consequences.
This is an absolute must-read for those who like thrillers, women's fiction and appreciate film noir. Sylvia Massara delivers a slick novel which entertains and also manages to comment on society's attitude to middle-aged women. This is one woman who stands up for all of us in the 'sisterhood' who are getting older and I for one cannot wait for Mia's next case.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing With The Bad Boys.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new) - added it

Sylvia Massara Woo hoo! Even if I say so myself. Thank you, Carol; and I am so happy that you enjoyed reading about Mia Ferrari.

Her next mystery will have a special guest by way of your own protagonist, Amanda Wilson! These strong older chicks have to stick together even when solving murders :-)

Warm regards,
Sylvia Massara

Carol Wyer Sylvia wrote: "Woo hoo! Even if I say so myself. Thank you, Carol; and I am so happy that you enjoyed reading about Mia Ferrari.

Sylvia I loved Mia and can't wait for the next adventure. Amanda will be chuffed to bits to meet Mia. She's just like SexyFitChick one of her blog followers, in fact so much like her it is astounding!

message 3: by Sylvia (new) - added it

Sylvia Massara Carol wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Woo hoo! Even if I say so myself. Thank you, Carol; and I am so happy that you enjoyed reading about Mia Ferrari.

Her next mystery will have a special guest by way of your own prot..."

Carol, today on the train (going to my bread and butter job) I worked out the whole plot for Mia and Amanda. It's going to be soooooooooo much fun. I can't wait to start writing. Yay!