Sam at A Journey Through Pages's Reviews > Memento Nora

Apr 01, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia
Read in March, 2012

Review from A Journey Through Pages

I have a soft spot for Dystopias, I have ever since my College English class which had been themed Dystopias and Utopias. Brave New World is a book that ingrained itself in my mind, so the Young Adult Dystopia boom both pleases and displeases me. Dystopias are meant to make you think and many YA Dystopias fail to reach that goal, instead focusing on trying to make an impression with romance, forbidden, rebelling and action. But sometimes a YA Dystopia is so good I don't really care. Memento Nora is one of those cases.

It doesn't fit on the most amazing, thought-provoking-Dystopias-ever shelf in my heart bookcase, but it did make me question things and wonder. I also enjoyed the format and the world that was created.

There was a lot that reminded me of the movie Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. What would you do if you could just erase the bad things that have happened to you from your mind? Would you do it? The idea is interesting enough that it carries the book almost entirely on its own. And though the three main characters could be thought of cliché, I enjoyed how all three of them lived in very different home environments to try and show and shape the world of Memento Nora.

(Even More of Review on Blog)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memento Nora.