Julie_ian_curtis's Reviews > Lennon: The Man, the Myth, the Music - The Definitive Life

Lennon by Tim Riley

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: never-finished, non-fiction
Read in May, 2012

this was a real let down i wanted JOHN, but you had to search thru all this other stuff to get the John info. also i didnt like they way he kept referring to him as 'Lennon'. ok yeah i know thats his name but it was like he was a 'thing' like a cultural item, not a person. Philip Norman's john lennon the life is far better. although i did agree with some stuff - he says everyone ragged on yoko until paul married heather -then paul copped it. this is true. heather/paul was a car crash. also he mentions that everyone was all'lennon's influence on paul' and not vice versa. and that paul gets a bum rap as the more sensitve, lame lyric beatle as opposed to johns hardcore stuff.this is true but it was good to see it re-said. mentions of john being mean to brian but once again of u know anything about john, you know this already. and of course, for those who are new to the disillusion factor, there is much mention of 'john is an asshole', many mentions of women-hating etc. we know this - no new evidence mentioned, same lost weekend,cheating on yoko, may pang stuff. other reviews are like 'oh this dude has read all john stuff ever so he is the man, this is definitive' if so it would have been more sympathetic. he may have read it all but he doesnt *feel* it. the last chapter on the death etc was lame - recycled shit we all know well. also gives a big harsh to fred seaman (spelling?!) ok yeah we know freds a sellout but @ the time it gave us info. once again, go to Philip Norman's john lennon the life if u want the best work. do NOT go to albert goldman's (lame) work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lennon.