Corey's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: farming, nonfiction
Read from March 15 to April 05, 2012

I wanted to like this book twice as much as I did. Maybe it was a matter of expectations, I was looking for the trials and tribulations of local living which are described between the covers, but ultimately I feel like the actual day to day operations were crowded out by the evangelizing. Each chapter starts with a lead in discussing some aspect of the farm and then segues into how this demonstrates the absurdity of our current agriculture/political/cultural system. Eventually you would get a brief essay from the author's husband expanding on an aspect of the discussion. Afterwards you are introduced to the rest of their personal experience with aforementioned topic. The chapter then ends with the author's daughter discussing being a teenager and dealing with (insert topic) and then listing a couple recipes using the seasonal produce du joir. I just couldn't get into it, I wanted something more along the lines of a "Dirty Life". More memoir and less proselytism regardless of how much I agree or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.