Cormac's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Aug 11, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: classics
Read in January, 2000

I seldom abandon a book once I have started it. But this is one I have abandoned for the second time, not managing to stomach the improbable (impossible?) story of the passionate and useless love of two thoroughly self-centered persons: Heathcliff and Catherine. Even Charlotte Brontë, in her 1850 Preface, sees in Heathcliff "a man's shape animated by demon life"; and asks "whether it is right or advisable to create things like Heathcliff, I do not know; I scarcely think it is"; and can only defend the artist's need to express what she has inside. But what emerges is a world of thoroughly hateful and hating relationships.
True love wishes indeed to possess the other; but respects him or her; and is uplifted and opened out to others and to all values. That is the decisive test of real love. Heathcliff and Catherine's love is not really love for one another; it is possessive love of the other, over whom each feels a total claim. And it has no purifying effect on relations with others; it only leads to an increase of hatred.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.