Shelley's Reviews > Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings

Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonseca

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: parenting
Read from March 15 to 16, 2012

If you decide to get one book on gifted kids, I'd recommend Delisle's PARENTING GIFTED KIDS. I reread it from time to time, and have never wanted to throw it across the room.

Ms. Fonseca's book is the first about gifted kids I've read which was written at a junior high level. I'm not sure it's necessarily bad, but it's annoying after 50 pages; by the time I finished the book, I'd lost 10 IQ points. (Generally the assumption is gifted kids are born to parents who can read a compound sentence.)

Before I explain further, I should say there *is* useful information in this book, just not a book's worth. There are example children with various problems, and the author shows how her techniques can improve their functioning in school, at home, and with peers. I'd venture to guess the techniques are good, too.

They just need a different author. I'm not so OCD that I break out the red pen and edit my books (I know those people are out there), but this time, I was sorely tempted.

If you delete all the "one of the most common," "most of the difficulties," "as discussed in the previous chapter," "it is important to note," and "let's take a look" from the book, you'd have a much shorter book. Heck, if just you eliminate all the "althoughs" it would take out 20 pages.

The instructional area of the book, with dialogs which show bad parent reactions to gifted explosions are set out like this:

Bad dialog.
Bad dialog broken out sentence by sentence, with critiques.
Better dialog.

So what could have taken three paragraphs --"this is bad vs. this is good, and here's why" -- takes three pages. Three pages full of althoughs and "it's important to note" and "one of the most commons" later, and all I can think is OMG WHO EDITED THIS?

I haven't even mentioned the spacing or period errors, which shouldn't be the author's fault, but which don't engender confidence: nothing like coming to the end of a sentence and not having a punctuation mark

See? It's distracting.

By around page 100, I looked at the back to find out more about the author. Among her other qualifications, she "lives with her husband and precocious gifted daughters."

Really? I mean, REALLY? I'm barely able to publicly admit I read this book, because everyone hates that parent who thinks their kid is gifted. But that's in your bio? /smh

When I started rating this book, it was at three stars. But as I cataloged all of my frustrations with the text, I kept reducing the rating.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students.

03/15/2012 page 101
45.0% "This may be the book that finishes me off from reading parenting books. Haven't felt this condescended to since...um...I can't think of when."
show 1 hidden update…