Katie's Reviews > Eggs

Eggs by Jerry Spinelli

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: middle-level, eced-221

Eggs is the story of an unlikely friendship between 9-year-old David and 13-year-old Primrose. Primrose does not want anything to do with her mother, while David, whose mother is dead, would do anything to get her back. Against all odds, Primrose and David find each other and, although they fight often, help each other to heal and grow.

This book is very well-written and keeps the reader involved. David and Primrose both have struggles that we can all relate to in some way. Unfortunately, death and abandonment are parts of life, and this book takes an honest look on the effect they can have on children. The premise and plot of the book are basically believable, although David often snuck out with Primrose in the middle of the night, and I think it is unlikely that his grandmother would not have noticed. Despite that, the relationship between David, Primrose, and the other characters seemed very genuine, and that was the most important aspect of the book. The plot resolution was very positive, and the book ended on a happy note.

I enjoyed this book. My favorite aspect of the story was the relationship between Primrose and David. Both children were emotionally damaged, but they bonded together to overcome their sadness. They also truly cared about each other, although their fights were often brutal. Their relationship reminded me of that of siblings. This book is a good way to show children that we all have problems, and it is okay to be sad, but there are people who love us and things will always get better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eggs.