Allie Smith's Reviews > The First Husband

The First Husband by Laura Dave

Mar 15, 2012

Read from March 13 to 15, 2012

I loved this book! It’s fantastic. What a story. I honestly didn’t have any clue how it was going to end. When I thought it was going to zig…it zagged. When I thought it was going to zag...well, it zigged.
Great heroine! I loved Annie. I loved her best friend (who was her boyfriend’s sister…complicated), and I loved one of the men in her life, even if he was too good to be true (it’s fiction). I adored her funny, screwed up brother-in-law. The characters were real. The descriptions of their mannerisms and the sharp dialogue, I could visualize everything, as if I was watching a movie.
The meeting between Annie and her rebound guy crackled on the page. It was hot! It wasn’t because of any graphic loves scenes, either. It was the words and the setting and the emotions. I kept thinking, what in the world is this girl doing? But I know I wouldn’t have been able to stop myself either…so go girl.
Of course when two people fall so fast under such questionable circumstances…you assume it can’t last. I loved how this couple fell apart. It was real….it wasn’t them, it was life and other people that they each loved who thought they were CRAZY. Then they started to think that maybe they were. A time and a place.
The old boyfriend reemerges…and you don’t won’t him to, but he had to, and then my girl really, really had a problem. Big time! Because she loved both of them. Oh my God, this book was so much fun. What’s Annie going to do? If this weren’t enough, bachelor number 3 shows up – with no baggage – uh-oh!
I can’t tell the ending but it was Great. And – I have to go rent Roman Holiday (You’ll get why, after you read the book)!
I loved this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Husband.

Michele Chamblin I'll give it a try! :o)

Allie Smith You won't be sorry!

Michele Chamblin Starting it tonight! :)