Lex's Reviews > Searching For Pemberley

Searching For Pemberley by Mary Lydon Simonsen

Mar 16, 12

Read from March 15 to 16, 2012

This story had so much potential, but in the end I just couldn't enjoy it properly. The major fault of this book is that it lacks balance. The author is trying to weave two different stories; the story of Maggie and the story of the Laceys, into one. But the writing comes off as feast or famine. We get very little substantial information about Maggie while being bombarded with the recollections of the Lacey family, and then after about page 300, the Lacey story is almost completely abandoned in favor of what is going on with Maggie.
I found the writing to be very stilted and not very satisfying. Almost as if the author was rationing the details along with the war-time food and coal in the story. There was not much for me to identify with in the characters, and for much of the story they seemed like cardboard caricatures more than people.
The thought is a beautiful one, with a good detail to time period and experiences, but I just think it was brought together poorly. The book seemed like a very juvenile effort.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching For Pemberley.

03/15/2012 page 118

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kamille Carthy I agree with that! I wanted more of her current situation and not so much about the lacey's